Today’s law firms and corporate legal departments are confronted with a dilemma: while they understand the value of data science and data-driven decision-making, they struggle to develop a strategy and capabilities to achieve the results. The landscape of technologies, disciplines, and human capital is daunting. Practice areas have a wide range of needs and experience. Interacting with the larger organization’s existing technology and data science resources requires new communication skills. But all is not lost; data science for law is possible.
At LexPredict, we can help:
- Assess your organization’s data science maturity and capabilities.
- Design a legal data strategy to guide your organization’s growth towards business objectives.
- Communicate and coordinate with your organization’s technology team.
- Augment your team with our on-site or remote data scientists.
- Recruit new team members to build your data science team.
- Train your existing team members to develop data science skills.
For many organizations, the quantity or urgency of data science work for law may counsel towards consulting solutions. In some cases, the amount of steady work may not warrant full-time employee costs. In other cases, the urgency of data science problems may not wait for the delay of recruiting or training. LexPredict can assist in either case, either through standard hourly consulting models or through more cost-effective, long-term retainers.
LexPredict maintains an experienced team of members and contractors with the following skills:
- Database and Data Store: SQL (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres), XML, DMS
- Data Science and Analytics: Excel, R, Python, SAS, Stata, Matlab
- Reporting and Visualization: Tableau, Pentaho, SSRS, PowerBI
- Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing
Staffing individuals with an existing skill base can help departments rapidly implement and internalize project management, process improvement, and data science for law. LexPredict can help departments both temporarily and permanently fill positions, in addition to training resources to augment existing skills. Changing organizational culture and promoting widespread adoption of tools and techniques are difficult to accomplish unless employees see or experience the benefits first-hand. Staffing and placement will supplement the top-down approach that training legal managers provides by increasing employee exposure at multiple levels and will help the skills, knowledge, and related tools take root and gain momentum within the organization’s culture.
LexPredict follows industry-standard HR and staffing practices, and can accommodate fixed-fee, commission, percentage-salary, and alternative models for temporary and permanent placement of resources.
Legal departments are facing pressures to reduce costs while maintaining or increasing quality and volume of work product. Additionally, business leaders are increasingly looking to Legal to provide valuable strategic advice. To do this, the department can leverage processes and tools based on finance, project management, process improvement, and data science for law. However, department leadership has limited experience with data analytics, process improvement, or machine learning and natural language processing. Additionally, the individual employees and industry at large generally lack experience or knowledge in these fields. Therefore, the department can both satisfy cost/quality demands and compete more effectively in the industry by training and developing skills internally to:
- Successfully manage implementation and use of processes and technology related to data science for law
- Continuously identify new opportunities to use these tools and methods
- Grow subordinates into leaders who can succeed within and drive this new competitive advantage
We commonly tailor courses to a specific practice area or business problem on a time-and-materials basis, and students are typically more engaged and rewarded by training exercises that solve real business needs. We strongly recommend that, where possible, training courses align with the actual work that your team is focused on accomplishing.
Getting started is easy; contact us for a free consultation.